On 4/2/2015 9:02 AM, John R Levine wrote:
>> That is, the 'payload' of DKIM is the delivery of a validated domain
>> name.  In the original specification, we failed to properly specify
>> which of the two delivered identifiers (d= and s=) was that promised
>> payload.
>
> These hairs are split too finely for me to understand.

You mean like the difference between a driver and a passenger?

Really, there's nothing subtle or fine about it.  In fact is a clean and
essential distinction, if the protocol is to be cleanly defined.

In classic networking architecture hierarchies, an exchange is
characterized by defining provider and a consumer.  The former wants to
supply some information to the latter.  That information is the payload.
 They use a protocol to do that.  The protocol is a set of rules and
formats for effecting that transfer of the payload.  Any part of the
protocol that is not payload is overhead.

> The DKIM
> validator takes the message and the not-API returns a possibly empty
> list of identifiers.  In v2 or whatever we call it, the validator does
> exactly the same thing.

Ahh, I see.  American English and British English and Malaysian English
are all identical, since they satisfy the same, generic functional
description.  For that matter, English and Russian are the same because
the do too.

Again:  The required semantics differ and...  The Protocols Do Not
Interoperate.

To make this fundamental point irrelevant, one of us first needs to be
able to mate with an orang utan.

> The main difference I see is that if we call v2 something else, we now
> have a tedious administrative exercise of finding every place something
> refers to DKIM and change it to "DKIM or DKIM-plus."  This does not
> strike me as a good use of anyone's time.

That task you characterize as tedious is, in fact, the discipline of
making sure the documentation is careful to distinguish between the two
different (ie, non-interoperable) protocols.

Efforts to do that with a single specification wind up confusing things
and confusing readers and implementers.

d/

--
Dave Crocker