> >In the latter case, it's really an entirely new protocol, which should
> >be identified by the next-lower protocol, rather than by using the
> >version field as an in-bred demultiplexing field.

> I suppose, but if the two procols are 99% the same, and the new one is
> upward compatible with the old one, and anything that understands the
> new one also has to understand the old one, and the goal is to have
> everything puts semantics on the old one put the same semantics on the
> new one, I'm having trouble seeing why one of these is vastly
> preferable to the other:

>  DaveKIM-Signature: v=1; d=example.com; ...

Without getting into the desirability/utility of any sort of v2, I'll note that
the latter of these has one small advantage: It avoids any issues with broken
DKIM handlers that fail to correctly interpret the v= field.

Having said that, I think the version bump approach is a pretty significant
aesthetic win, especially if the change is, as noted below, to implement the
"must handle" tag.

And aesthetics in protocols do matter to some extent.

                                Ned