On 4/2/2015 9:25 PM, John R Levine wrote:
So receipt of a message signed in the new form will likely produce an
incorrect signature validation, ...

I wondered about that, too, so before I proposed a version bump, I
took a look at the code that people use:

* Murray's opendkim C library: checks that the version is 0.5 or 1,
fails otherwise.  That's the code in the milters that sendmail and
postfix use, and I believe it's the library that everyone else with
custom C code (including me) uses or adapts.  It replaces the older
libdkim.

At least 8-10 years ago, it wasn't the library "everyone else" used. It wasn't quite portable to Windows (without changes). It might be different today. Alt-N's open source DKIM/ADSP library was a pure C/C++ portable package and it was used. In this API, if "v=" exist, it checks for the string match of either:

   "1"
   "0.5"
   "0.4"
   "0.3"
   "0.2"

and returns a DKIM_SIG_VERSION_02_PLUS version otherwise DKIM_STAT_INCOMPAT. If "v=" did not exist, it returns a DKIM_SIG_VERSION_PRE_02 version. None of this was made optional to operators. So a "version bump" would return DKIM_STAT_INCOMPAT (unknown version).

--
HLS