On 04/14/2015 09:15 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 8:25 AM, Scott Kitterman <skl...@kitterman.com <mailto:skl...@kitterman.com>> wrote:

    I haven't reviewed his in detail, so I've no opinion.  I was
    talking about
    this proposal.  Not getting fancy with MIME parts would be nice,
    so if this
    one can work, I already like it better than Murray's, but if we
    have to pile
    this onto the stack of nice ideas, then that's probably what I'll
    look at
    next.

The elegance of John's idea is that it's content-agnostic, and is apparently backward compatible because v=1 verifiers will not consider the weak signature to be valid (unless they're already quite broken). There's no need to learn to parse MIME structure in order to produce a signature.

I think the concerning part is deciding when to add the weak signature. The simplest thing is to always add it along with an "@fs=" signature, but then you're basically allowing the forwarding domain to sign any content it wants and you'll be approving it too, implicitly.

Remembering to what great lengths the ietf-dkim group went to make sure that every bit of a message was covered by the signature (and with the l= discussions in mind) I would really be surprised if adding the @fs= for all outbound mail would be an acceptable solution for the problem.

/rolf