> For example,
> the MS Security Bulletins it has message ADID and SDID values such as:
>      From: e-mail.microsoft.com
> That is a third party.  All you need to do is add a ATPS DNS TXT record:
>     base64(sha1("email.microsoftemail.com")._atps.e-mail.microsoft.com

This is something we've done many times, except that rather than creating an
ATPS record, we just add the 3rd party's IPs to a subdomain's SPF record (e.g.,
email.microsoft.com or e-mail.microsoft.com) and set up DKIM keys for it, and
then tell the 3rd party to send email that way. The example you have is not
aligned because I haven't done every domain within Microsoft, but if I ever get
to this one, that's how I'll do it.

> and manage it of course.

And herein lies the trouble. "Manage it of course" is more than a simple line
of text. If I want to add a 3rd party to Microsoft's zone:

1. I need get sign off from necessary parties
2. I create a DNS change request
3. It goes through a review process
4. I have to review the zone updates since I created the tickets
5. They usually ask me to validate it manually when the Ops team does the
change.

None of this process is automated, and that's intentional. Instead, we make
deliberate changes to the Microsoft zone so we know what's going in.

By contrast, the ATPS for 3rd parties - mailing lists - is not something we
would automate. I know of a few mail servers that other employees use that
relays email as @microsoft.com in the From: address that will fail DMARC. But
if we had to add every 3rd party mailing list that employees used, we'd have to
go through this change review process each time. But because employees signing
up for a mailing list is not official company business, we *wouldn't* update
our zone just for that without a good reason.

Similarly, for Hotmail, would we really want to update our zones automatically
for every mailing list a subscriber signs up for? Without any change control?
I'm inclined to say no.

-- Terry