On 4/29/2015 3:09 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

    If OpenDKIM is popular among many big systems, it would make sense
    to slightly update OpenDKIM so that the "atps=y" option is based
    off a DMARC lookup.   The change is small.

Sure, if that's consensus.  That would also involve promoting ATPS to
the Standards Track, but to do that we'd need to see some hope that
widespread deployment is likely.  But we still have that pesky
registration problem to deal with.

Registration is a different situation that is tied to the market place. It should not be a barrier to the IETF technical protocol we wish to provide as a IETF recommended solution.

    Maybe Murray can explain how its setup and triggered in OpenDKIM.

If you enable it, you just have to name which domains you authorize to
sign for you.

So if I understand RFC6541 (its unfortunate I wasn't around during work):

Given two identities:

  ADID  Author Domain Identity (5322.From.domain)
  SDID  The signer domain identity to be placed in "d="

1) The DKIM signer MUST add tag "atps=SDID" to DKIM-Signature
2) The DKIM signer CAN add tag "atpsh=hash" to DKIM-Signature

At the DKIM ATPS compliant Verifier:

3) It takes atps=SDID and atps=hash to do the hash(ADID, SDID) lookup.
4) A positive results signifies authorization, allowance.

Correct?

In the original ATPS drafts, in step #3 would of been:

3) Do a ADSP lookup, if "atps=y" tag found, do hash(ADID, SDID) lookup.

Correct?

Well, I think you prematurely removed the ADSP dependency. Wish I was there to object. Making it based off DKIM increased the adoption barriers with a DKIM change requirement. This would be one big reason for no traction.

Anyway, I think we can simplify this. Back when RFC5016 was being done, an implementation debate regarding when to do the policy lookup, under what condition. Concerns of too much DNS wasted calls, etc. The threat analysis RFC4686 pretty provided a consensus that the only time we really needed to do the lookup was under the mismatch condition:

       ADID != SDID

Doing a lookup even under ADID == SDID condition did allow for addition policy offerings such as:

  o Domain has no mail operations
  o Domain does not sign mail

But these events can be folded with other fail conditions so it wasn't necessary to do a lookup for a valid 1st party signature. After all, the Trust Lookup of SDID was the next step in this total DKIM+POLICY+TRUST process.

So in short, all these extended ideas for a DSAP, TPA, ATPS, etc, can be done when the ADID != SDID condition exist. No "atps=y" dependency on any other protocol like ADSP, DMARC and DKIM.

The mismatch condition is enough of a signal to run an optional 3rd party authorization check. I understand the reason for the "atpsh=" tag, but we can do it with a default hashing method.

--
HLS