On 5/2/2015 1:34 PM, John Levine wrote:
With List-Id becoming a more generic feedback channel, I suspect that its
value for indicating the participation of a MLM will further degrade.

This is news to me.  Can you explain or give pointers?

The only application of List-ID with which I am familiar is to sort
(or filter depending on which coast you're from) mailing list traffic
more reliably.

You can also filter, separate, categorized, "folderized" or "sort" per se using List-Post.

And for modern List-* supportive MUAs, it triggers adding a third possible button for replying:

 [Reply]           Reply-ID, if any, otherwise From:
 [Reply to All]    Reply-Id, From, To, Cc, List-ID
 [Reply to List]   List-ID

Just like "Newsgroup:" also triggers a [Reply to Group] button display in NNTP mail readers/writers.

Btw, you are the only one that I have seen use the term "sort" for this purpose. I get it, but seems odd. Sort would not be the proper idea unless you were sorting all the incoming mail first in order to find something, and it would be ordered too when using the term sort. The MUAs have called it "Create/Manage Messages Filters" or RBM (Rule Based Messaging) as they were patently called decades ago. They did not do any "sorting" per se, but move the mail as it streamed in into user created folders or in the case of at least one MUA, it auto creates the folders based on either List-ID or List-Post.

--
HLS