On Wednesday, May 06, 2015 05:38:08 PM Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> John Levine writes:
>  > > A very simple approach would be <List-Id magic here>;
>  >
>  > Not so good, since there are lists that do't have list-id
>
> Too bad for those lists.  What matters is that an awful lot of lists
> do have list-id, and even more have list-post (which is the header
> that matters here).  If the idea can convince p=reject-using Author
> Domains, it's a big improvement for a lot of lists.
>
>  > and spam that does.
>
> Don't register lists that pass spam.  If spam that looks like it comes
> from a list is getting through to your users, you have real problems
> anyway.  What else is new?  I don't see an exploit here that isn't
> already available to the mal-actors, and I don't see how it increases
> risk substantially since it requires an iterated phish to succeed.
>
> I guess the main risk would be if it gives the spammers a new way to
> conceal the fact that their mailboxes at Author Domains are being used
> as phishing vehicles via lists based at Spammer Domains.  But AIUI
> that's the whole issue with TPA from the Author Domain standpoint.  Is
> there a *new* issue here?

TPA requires cooperation from originators and receivers, so there's no "new"
issue.  Any make a list approach that needs both originators and receivers to
participate needs to work for both large/small originators/receivers and I
don't think this does.  That's not "new", but it is a problem.

Scott K