On 5/15/2015 11:52 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:

But it is not an operationally practical choice.  The problem is that
when that identifier is different from the content identifier, we have
the task of figuring out whether the identity in the Sender: field is
'authorized' to operate on behalf of the identity in the From: field.[*]

and one way to get that authorization bit is to hash bind the 5322.Sender:

[*] In case folk miss the point, the Sender identifier is /always/
present, even when the Sender: field is not.  If this isn't clear to
anyone, I encourage re-reading Section 3.4.2 of RFC 5322.

There are defaults and overrides. RFC4407 "Purported Responsible Address (PRA)" has done some project research work in this area:

   https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4407

   Abstract

   This document defines an algorithm by which, given an e-mail message,
   one can extract the identity of the party that appears to have most
   proximately caused that message to be delivered.  This identity is
   called the Purported Responsible Address (PRA).

and the steps to get the PRA is outlined:

HLS