> For this to work, you somehow need to persuade the real system to send
> you a signed message from the address you're planning to abuse.  That
> seems like an implausible amount of work.

I agree it sounds like a lot of work.  But I don't see why you would
bother attacking the resigning system at all, if you're not trying to
exploit acquaintanceship relations.  Just send apparently from a
sibling domain.

That's just what they do, or they send from random addresses, expecting (usually correctly) that the recipient will only see the From: comment and not the bogus address. A couple of the people on my church's mailing list got their AOL or Yahoo address book stolen, and the list software catches spam like that all the time, since if course it looks at the address.

> If you can get the real system to send you a message to re-sign,
> why not just have it send the spam?

Because you can't get the real system to send spam, but you can get a
user with a mailbox on that system to get it to send you a message to
resign.

Right, and now you can do one teensy spam run until the weak signature expires, or the re-sending system's reputation drops to the point where nobody accepts its mail, or adaptive systems like Google's recognize the person's address as a reliable spam sign. If you can't use a spamming system to send a million messages a day and expect a fair number of them to be delivered, it's not interesting. Like I keep saying, while you can imagine hypothetical spam scenarios, it's hard to think of one that would be effective enough to be worth the effort, particularly compared to just using a fake address with the person's name as the From comment.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY