> On Mar 14, 2016, at 11:28 PM, Kouji Okada <o...@lepidum.co.jp> wrote:
>
> We have submitted a draft about DMARC default verification
> for domains not publishing DMARC records.
> Any comments will be appreciated.

as though it had opted-in to using DMARC with "p=none adkim=s aspf=s".
Once that's deployed, change it to "p=reject adkim=s aspf=s". Possibly
do "p=quarantine" between the two.

There are multiple problems with this suggestion.

Firstly, DMARC is an opt-in protocol for good reason. It's a lot of work to
clean up all the mail streams for a domain such that all email is authenticated.
In many cases it is impossible to do so. Those domains that have not done
so should not publish a DMARC record.

Requiring DMARC-esque authentication (let alone strict alignment) from domains
that are not ready to use DMARC will cause a lot of wanted email to be treated
as
having failed that test.

In your first phase, p=none, this will have no effect. The value of using p=none
in DMARC is so that domains can take advantage of DMARC reporting without
loss of legitimate email. You have no reporting, so this provides no value.

In your middle phase, p=quarantine, this will cause massive loss of wanted
email while
still providing no feedback to senders.

In your final phase, p=reject, there will continue to be massive loss of wanted
email.

In none of those phases does your draft add any value. If a receiver wants to
pay attention to
whether mail is authenticated or not it can already do so, and it can do so much
more effectively than any approach that requires strict DMARC style alignment.

Cheers,
  Steve