On December 10, 2018 5:02:30 PM UTC, "Kurt Andersen (b)" <kb...@drkurt.com>
wrote:
>On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 8:58 AM Scott Kitterman <skl...@kitterman.com>
>wrote:
>

>> On December 10, 2018 4:31:03 PM UTC, "Kurt Andersen (b)"
><kb...@drkurt.com>
>> wrote:
>> >On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 8:28 AM Scott Kitterman
><skl...@kitterman.com>

>at
>> >the
>RFC
>> >7208
>> >explicit
>> >local
>> >>

>> >Why not? If the non-ASCII (or non-7bit) characters are puny-coded,
>it
>> >seems
>> >like they should be able to match without any problems.
>> >
>> AIUI, local parts don't get puny-coded.
>>

>Even when attempting to look them up via the macro mechanism? It seems
>like
>that encoding should be a part of the macro processing.

We discussed this during spfbis and concluded this was enough of a corner case
not to make an incompatible protocol change over it.

Almost no one uses SPF macros and even fewer use use the 'l' and 's' macros.
If such a change were introduced, every SPF library would need an update to
help approximately no one.  I don't we should relitigate this here.

Between non-ascii local parts and SPF records using with the 'l' or 's' macros,
you get to pick one.  Documenting this clearly is a good idea.

Scott K