 From: "Scott Kitterman" <skl...@kitterman.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 7, 2019 10:00 PM
To: dmarc@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dmarc-ietf] Rethinking DMARC for PSDs
On Sunday, April 07, 2019 08:50:44 PM John Levine wrote:
> In article <c588c5eeec224162bffd080693c70...@bayviewphysicians.com> you
write:
> > The problem:
> > Spammers use non-existent domains to achieve identity spoofing, such
as

> >tax.example.gov.uk
> >
> > This is primarily a reception problem, because many recipient mail
filters

> >are not equipped to block this type of fraud. ..
>
> Right, and we can stop right there.
>
> A decent spam filter will treat a nonexistent From: domain or envelope
> bounce address as extremely suspicious and send the message into spam
> folder purgatory. If someone's filters aren't doing that, it is
> unlikely that they're paying much if any attention to DMARC, and no
> amount of fiddling with DMARC will make any difference.
>
> My mail server rejects anything with a non-existent bounce address at
> SMTP time and I don't think it's ever rejected anything my users would
> want.
>
> The solution to this problem is for mail systems to fix their filters,
> not to invent yet another mail-breaking hack that they won't use
> anyway.

Which mail breaking hack is that? Since PSD DMARC almost entirely applies
domains that don't send mail, I don't think it breaks anything. It is in
part
a tool to make hard rejects easier for receivers that don't typically
reject
solely due to non-existence and in part a tool to provide feedback to PSD
operators so they can understand patters of abuse in their namespace.

As I understand it, rejecting mail from non-existent domains is a long
standing, well-known tool for receivers. I hear you saying it works for
you
in your circumstances, but that doesn't mean it scales. Given that
rejecting
non-existent domains is a well established option, but not everyone does
it,
what basis for optimism do you have that 'fix their filters' will change
anything?

If fixing filters was enough, would anyone bothered to have published:

$ dig txt _dmarc.gov.uk +short
"v=DMARC1\;p=reject\;sp=none\;adkim=s\;aspf=s\;fo=1\;rua=mailto:dmarc-
r...@dmarc.service.gov.uk\;ruf=mailto:dmarc-...@dmarc.service.gov.uk";

All PSD DMARC would do is make that record apply to domains lower in the
tree
without their own DMARC record. It's not that complicated.

Fielding of DMARC did a huge amount of damage to the e-mail ecosystem that
I'm
not convinced it will ever fully recover from, but PSD DMARC doesn't add
it.

Scott K