On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 3:42 PM Dotzero <dotz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually Seth, you are flat out wrong. I was there and part of it. It was
> not about signaling. It was implemented at the MTA  level and was about
> preventing the "badness" from reaching the end user rather than signaling
> to the end user.

Michael, there's a crossed wire here-- I didn't mean to communicate that
DMARC is in any way about signaling. I'm in complete agreement here. The
point I was trying to make is that consumers are susceptible to fraud, and
the system needs to stop these messages before they ever get in front of a
user. The signal I was talking about is from the data: when something tries
to authenticate to an MTA but then tell the user it's someone else. That's
what alignment fixes and what's so powerful about DMARC.

> Google experimented with displaying "keys" and Microsoft experimented with
> displaying "shields". Neither of those efforts were integral to the DMARC
> effort. My own experience is that a significant percentage of end users
> will click on just about anything. This was validated in the 2007 timeframe
> during some phishing runs where the bad guys actually left some tracking
> code on a fake WWW landing page the email links led to. It was also
> validated during the Storm Worm when the links used IP Addresses. This
> issue has been validated at other points and times. Individual sending
> organizations and receiving domains have been generally reluctant to
> release data because it might expose company confidential information.
> Aggregated isn't so useful because there are significant variations in
> company efforts - not just with DMARC - that impact outcomes. So far,
> signaling to the end user doesn't have a particularly good track record.
>
> DMARC started as a private effort among a handful of private parties. when
> it was successful in stopping direct domain abuse for a handful of sending
> domains at a handful of receivers we started discussing whether the
> approach could be codified as a standard to enable others to benefit from
> the approach. The origins and history are important in understanding why
> DMARC is what it is.

I'm in complete agreement with this, and didn't mean to convey otherwise.