On 6/2/20 10:35 AM, Dotzero wrote:

> As part of the original DMARC team, the goal was to make clear whether
> the email was authorized by the domain being used, hence the reliance
> on SPF and DKIM. These are clearly under the domain
> owner/administrator's control to the extent they choose to exercise
> that control. There was much discussion in the community at the time
> to use thei= field to enable more granular signing. it never gained
> traction. Because the intent was to protect end users from fake emails
> purporting to be from (primarily) commercial domains such as financial
> institutions, greeting card companies, etc., the Sender field was not
> a significant issue. Also, when the Sender is in the same domain as
> the From, there is no DMARC issue.

I'm all confused about why alignment matters. Back around the time DKIM
was standardized, we were concerned about phishing attacks from
look-alike domains, i.e., substitutions of 1 for l, that might be
registered by attackers and sign their messages with valid DKIM signatures.

But now a lot of people don't see anything but the Friendly Name; the
email address isn't displayed at all. For that (apparently increasing)
proportion of users, the From or Sender addresses aren't visible; the
attacker might as well use any Friendly Name of their choosing with any
domain they can sign for there. So they get DMARC alignment, but what
has it accomplished?

-Jim