On Sun, Jun 7, 2020, at 3:52 PM, John Levine wrote:
> In article <46e045ae-9691-4f5b-86bf-142c06645...@www.fastmail.com> you write:
> >-=-=-=-=-=-
> >
> >On Sun, Jun 7, 2020, at 9:16 AM, Douglas E. Foster wrote:
> >> 3) Some of the discussion has been about how to prevent soclal engineering
> >> of the recipient user. This is an important
> >topic, but not directly related to the project. IETF would do well to
> >establish some recommendations about how MUAs should
> >behave, so that trust data can be displayed to the user.
> >
> >Assuming this can be practically done, I would rephrase this,
> >"...[E]stablish how MUAs should display trust data to users."
>
> We have decades of experience that tells us that the IETF is hopeless
> at UI design, and our intuition is usually wrong.
>
> In particular, displaying warnings that "this may be bad" or even
> "this is extremely bad" is known not to work. No matter what you say,
> people will click through any warning to get to their kitten GIFs or
> porn or whatever.

I didn't know the history of the IETF's approach to UI, in particular, but I'm
aware of the research on the nastiness of solving the UI problem.  I mostly
wanted to clarify that the problem is, indeed, *how* to show that data to
users, and that no one has actually ever been able to solve that problem.

Thanks,
Stan