Alessandro,

There are long time solid reasons why the "Local.From" field needs to be stable. In particular, with local messaging, unless the local system allows for anonymous entry of the Local.From field when creating a Local message, there is a MUST for a 1 to 1 association with the account.

If local mail is exported for a external network, it doesn't matter what mail network it is, you really don't want to introduce the idea of allowing the changing of the Network.from field and making it anonymous or disassociated with the original source. The domain is associated with the source of the message, and the user part of the address reflects the user account at the domain. There are good reasons for that. Lets say the user is causing a problem on a remote system. Using the network.From, the remote system could contact the original system and issue a complaint. If we were "free" to remove that idea, it be would harder to trace it. DKIM allows you to lock that field down so that it can't be tampered with.

You have to understand the long time pov of developers that have been at this for 40 years. Every system I have worked, the different networks, it was the same thing -- leave the from field alone! Do not make it "anonymous" or capable of being an "unknown."

Its the same for Instant Messaging, for Chatting, the TELEPHONE, the Caller ID, etc, it is a TABOO to change the "From" entity.

If you want to continue your line of logic to rationalize Rewriting, then you need to make it "protocol complete" to help keep the association of the From field with the original source intact. But more importantly, it should have get permission from the original domain in order to rewrite. This can be done with a DMARC tag extension:

DMARC p=reject|quarantine ... rewrite=0|1

The default sides with highest security -- No Rewriting. But if the domain wishes to allow for rewriting, then it should explicitly state it in this policy record, rewrite=1.

This is something I could possibly support IFF the originating domain allows it. There would other things to consider to tie the loose ends, but the #1, would be the rewrite=1 tag.

--
Hector Santos,
https://secure.santronics.com