On 17 Jun 2020, at 13:27, Dave Crocker wrote:

On 6/17/2020 9:56 AM, Pete Resnick wrote:
No, the semantics of From: have not changed generally. It's that some mailing lists have to change the semantics of From: in the face of the inability of DMARC to express the semantics that they want.

The two sentences seem to be in conflict. If there is a degree of practice that creates a different semantic for the field, then its semantics have changed, at least for the portion of email traffic.

You'll note the word "generally". Most of my email carries the same semantics it always has in From:. There is a small subset that doesn't. But (and not to get too philosophical here), even when the semantics aren't the same, it is often a surprise: I find that something didn't match my expectations, only to discover that the originator of the email didn't use the same semantics I was expecting as recipient. That doesn't necessarily constitute a change in semantics for the email, but a mismatch: The originator said "sunny" and I thought that meant "without clouds". Even if I figure out the mismatch, I might not agree to "the semantics changed"; I might prefer to go with, "The originator made a mistake." In the present case, some mailing lists are using the same old semantics and some are using a new set; that doesn't convince me that we have an interoperable semantics to which we have "changed".

Here's a simple operational test:  MUAs typically can aggregate messages 'from' the same author.  After all, that's always been the primary role of From, to indicate who created the content. Such aggregation is usually found to be helpful.

Historically -- for 40+ odd years -- this has worked for mail going through mailing lists.  Now it usually doesn't. I'd appreciate an explanation of how that does not constitute a change in semantics.

Of course, I'd be interested in the "usually" part. It's not true of my mailstore, but my mailstore is far from average. I do know that even on the local non-profit board to which I belong (and had no hand in setting up), the Outlook server uses the semantics to which I am accustomed, though maybe having a smaller list where most people using their gmail addresses makes it equally "not average".

Have a folder with a variety of messages from correspondents, where some of a person's messages are sent directly to you and some of their messages are sent through mailing lists that adapt the From: field content in order to avoid DMARC rejection.  The MUA will handle mail from the same person, but that went through these two different paths, as being from different sources.

I'm sure that happens.

DMARC relies on From: because it is the only field with an identifier that is always present. Sender is not reliably present, except virtually.  The nature of what DMARC is actually doing looks more like relying on the operations-related Sender: field than the author-related From: field.

DMARC has nothing to do with display of author information to a recipient, and everything to do with differential handling by a receiving filtering engine.  Were the Sender: field always present, that would be the one that DMARC should have used.

It could have chosen the more complicated, "Sender unless not present, in which case From". But yes, this bit I get. That said, there are people who have argued that From: was chosen because Sender: was not displayed. I think that's a silly argument, but it's one that people still believe.

So, really, DMARC has altered the semantics of the From: field to be the Sender: field.

Wait a minute: I think this point needs some clarification. We know that the pre-DMARC semantics of the From: field are "the entity that authored the message". Originators were expressing that meaning and recipients were interpreting that meaning. My understanding of the meaning that DMARC added was, "The author of this message, as expressed in the From: field, always has their messages properly signed by the domain in the From: address." You seem to be saying that, no, what DMARC did was changed the semantic to be, "The From: field now represents the transmitter of the message (as used to be expressed in the Sender: field when present), not the author, and that transmitter always has their messages properly signed by the domain in the From: address". Do I have that right? (And I presume that either way, these are de facto semantics, not intentional ones that are documented anywhere, right?)

The nature of the hack that mailing lists do, when altering the From: field, makes this clear:  They alter information about the operator handling the message, destroying the original information about content authorship.

Mailing lists that make other choices (throwing away messages from DMARC reject senders, denying subscriptions from them, or simply ignoring them and ending up with bad consequences) have obviously not gone along with the certain forms of the semantic change.

pr
--
Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best