On 19 Jun 2020, at 10:38, Alessandro Vesely wrote:

consider a mailing list as a publishing organization, which is what it
is.

No, it isn't. It is a Mediator. See RFC 5598.

If article submission happened via HTTP, say, like in web fora,
there would be no reason to talk about From: rewriting.

Take my particular case: I don't get SMTP email from IETF mailing lists. I point my email client to imap.ietf.org and read the messages directly out of the mailboxes there. As people send email to the list, the messages are deposited into the appropriate IMAP mailbox for the list. Some of the messages (mistakenly IMO) have their Subject's munged, but not on all lists, and certainly not on the main IETF list. Usually, only trace info (Received: fields), a set of List-*: fields, an Archived-At: field, and similar are added, but otherwise, the contents of the message (including the normal headers) are unadulterated. That's good: I can reply to the author directly, reply to the list, or reply all as I see fit, or I can check S/MIME signatures, or I can use the "Add person to my address book" feature of my client, etc. It all works because nothing is munged. It is as it should be.

The
fortuitous circumstance that both article submission and the final
distribution happen through SMTP generated the current conundrum.

Why should using SMTP for *message* (not "article") distribution change anything in the example above?

And let's not pretend that it is just mailing lists that have this problem. The "resend" feature on my email client breaks if servers honor p=reject and can't be bothered to check the Resent-*: fields and realize that I am a legit sender. Alias expansion breaks. The problem is that a whole set of legitimate and documented features in email were simply dismissed as unimportant to keep in the first round of DMARC (or, more fairly, probably weren't properly considered).

It presumably seemed to be easier or less intrusive to tag the
Subject: and leave the From: unaltered.

No, that's rewriting history. The presumption of all Mediator-type transactions was that the receiving email client was to deal with the message (the thing with the identical Message-ID) with its original semantics, adding only Resent-*: or List-*: fields to add the semantic of the mediation event. Even rewriting Subject: is a problematic hack which the List-*: fields were created to avoid.

The correct approach should
have been to use the publishing organization's own From:, possibly
adding the author's name or initials to the Subject:.  We only realize
that mistake now, after the introduction of email authentication.

Yes, we kept using the wrong arrangement for 40+ years.  That is not a
good reason to persevere.

No, sorry, you've got the history entirely on its head. For 40+ years, we had a set of features of the email system which allowed an email message to be copied and/or moved around in loads of different ways (in archives, in IMAP stores, in mail clients), and one of those ways was always "reintroduce the message back into the transport system" using trace info in the message header to see the details of that reintroduction. DMARC came along and decided that that particular set of features was not worth addressing, or too hard to address, or maybe didn't realize that such features were going to be a problem.

Maybe it's time to abandon that set of features. I personally don't think so, but I could be in the rough part of the rough consensus. But I do think that set of features can be preserved with a bit of work, and I think that work is worth doing. But if we are going to abandon those features, a better argument will need to be made than "Oh, in retrospect we realize that email was doing it wrong for 40+ years." That argument is bogus.

pr