I was convicted that I was working from a reading of the abstract, and not the
whole document.   So I read the whole document last night, but it did not
change my understanding.

Given a first occurrence of a message which purports to be from a legitimate
message-altering MLM, how does the email gateway make a disposition decision?
ARC does not solve the problem, because the ARC chain does not provide enough
information to do so.   ARC assumes that initial trust is obtained by another
method.

Reversible tagging mostly solves the problem if the content is fully
reversible.   The email gateway can assess both new and old content for risk,
can assess both before and after signatures for identity verification, and can
choose which version of content to deliver to the user.   But there are
questions about whether this solution covers enough of the problem to make it
the only solution.  We also have the question of whether the tagging would be
too complex to do correctly.

For a complete solution, the mailing list needs to be able to distinguish
between these possibilities:
Fiction - the mailing list does not exist, but a spammer wants to look like one
to evade DMARC filteringUnsafe - the mailing list is poorly managed, so that it
is little more than an open relay, or the content filtering is inadequate, so
that it is a likely source of malicious content.Unwelcome - the subscriber
address is a work account, and the list purpose is not work related.Spoofed
list - a spammer tries to imitate a trusted list.Legitimate - a trusted and
wanted list that both subscriber and email administrator want to receive.
I don't see that we have adequately addressed all of these scenarios, but again
it seems that most of the issue hangs on the trust question.

List spoofing is an issue because we do not yet have a standard for how a list
ID is associated with an authorized source.  Presumably, we should perform an
SPF check on the list ID, or find a verified DKIM signature that is domain
aligned with the list ID.   But there are no requirements on the format of a
list ID, so we need to start by defining how the list domain is obtained from
the list ID.

What is the process for obtaining trust (and a supporting exception in the
email gateway)?
What is the process for notifying the MLM that the exception has been
implemented?

DF