On Tue 07/Jul/2020 19:08:48 +0200 Jim Fenton wrote:
On 7/6/20 6:15 PM, Douglas E. Foster wrote:

About credible mediators:
You are right that if an inbound email gateway believes a Mediator is credible, then all that is necessary is for the Mediator to prove his own identity.    But what is the mechanism by which a Mediator obtains the trust of the email gateway?   And by what mechanism does the Mediator know that the email gateway has determined it to be credible?

My proposal is largely a simpler (I think) alternative to ARC for assessing transformations. ARC also requires that the recipient's verifier have some trust relationship with the mediator, perhaps through an as-yet undefined reputation system.

The phrase /secret sauce/ is sometime used to refer to methods used to establish MTA reputation. The need to keep ingredients secret is due to the ill-defined nature of the problem, whereby reputation can be gamed if its mechanisms are known. That's why it is, and will be, as-yet undefined.

IOW, ARC is useful to a restricted number of large providers who are able to maintain a reliable reputation system. Do they need a simpler alternative?

Murray's reversible transforms proposal is yet another approach that does not require trust to the same degree.

Right, a deterministic method.

Best