On 7/18/2020 9:23 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 6:32 PM Dave Crocker <dcroc...@gmail.com <mailto:dcroc...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    If end users do not reliably make trust decisions based on /any/
    of the
    information in the rfc5322.From field, then how is this question
    important.  It seems to be seeking precise data about something that
    isn't even secondary.

Google strikes me as the kind of place that would make a decision about what to show users based on

Perhaps, but since we don't have their data and we don't have their decision-criteria -- which might be quite different from what is needed here -- then it's probably a good idea not to make assumptions about the utility, nor to put all of the human factors marbles in the google camp.

   I'm less convinced by the notion that all of the RFC5322.From is disregarded by the preponderance of users when deciding what level of trust to put in the message's content. That suggests we blindly open and read absolutely everything, and I suspect that isn't the case.

1. That's not what it suggests, at all

2. No doubt there is a better way to put this, but I'm not thinking of it, and this isn't just my second thought on the challenge, but quite a bit more than that:  This demonstrates why the IETF is a very poor venue for conducting human factors discussions.

Again: There is quite a bit of experience demonstrating that providing trust indicators to end users does not produce reliable -- ie, useful -- decision-making by end users.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking