On Sun, Aug 2, 2020 at 5:44 PM Douglas E. Foster <
fost...@bayviewphysicians.com> wrote:

> Murray took server too literally.   I have expressed before that a system
> could do a sender authentication lookup on List-ID as easily as on From.
> In this respect, it is similar to Dave's proposal, without the added
> complexity of additional identifiers.   So think "Registerd List-ID plus
> DKIM signature (or SPF, but DKIM seems both sufficient and preferable.)

If we take "server" to mean a tuple made up of a List-ID value and a "d="
value from a validated DKIM signature, which I believe is what you're
saying here, the first occurrence of this necessarily has no internal value
(or history) attached to it.  That means the operator has to develop
meaning for it over time, which doesn't tell it how to handle the first N
such messages.  Err on the side of openness and you have a spam or attack
vector; err on the side of defense and you irritate your users by denying
them some list traffic until a reputation can develop.

And it's probably actually a three-tuple, with the third part being the
recipient.  Otherwise, I could register (or trigger the auto-registration
of) any two-tuple I want and thus intentionally let in my preferred list
streams, good or bad, which affects every other user.

Plus, you're trusting users to get this right.  For a manual registration
scheme, every time they get it wrong by entering the wrong data or failing
to even do it at all, you've got a failure mode to deal with, usually in
the form of user complaints which require other humans to resolve.  That
makes it relatively expensive.

And finally, lists change once in a while, maybe to a new signing domain,
maybe to a new name, maybe both.  Every time that happens, the process has
to start over.  Naturally lists won't want to do this because of the
sterling reputations they've developed, but the pain reappears whenever the
process needs to be repeated for whatever reason.

I'm not saying such a system can't or won't work.  I'm also not saying I
have a better idea.  I am saying there's multi-faceted pain in every
direction in this space, and this is no exception.  Whatever path we choose
to deploy here has to account for those choices and their side effects, and
the ways they might be gamed.

I am not sure what "Internet Scale" means to you.   Most of the major
> recipients have bulk mailer registration systems.   It does not guarantee
> whitelisting, but it tends to produce that effect.   I have had occasion to
> register with most of them.   So "does not scale" is not obvious to me.

"Internet Scale" means millions or billions of users, like GMail or Yahoo
or AOL or Microsoft have.  Since they have the bulk of the inboxes, a
solution needs to at least consider that size of use case, or explain why
those cases don't need to be considered.

I've never seen this manual registration process to which you refer.  Where
can I find it, for example, on GMail?

Even more to the point, check out this link:

> https://blog.postmaster.verizonmedia.com/post/616023179026202624/increasing-relevance-performance-through-vto
>

> Verizon appears to be offering a service (probably for extra cost) which
> is based on:
> (a) a well-defined mail stream from a known sender, and
> (b) a mailbox user identifying that mail stream as subscribed, and
> therefore desirable.
>
> It appears that the target senders are retailers who want to ensure that
> their sale announcements are read before the sale is over.   It is an
> "Internet scale" application of the type of registration I was suggesting:
>   Well-identified senders, coupled with end-user endorsement, receive
> preferred treatment.

Is there a technical description someplace of the mechanism behind what
they're doing?

As to the transparency question, it should be clear that there will be no
> simple solution to the ML problem.

Indeed.

[...] But the only way to establish an acceptable reputation is to either
> register with the receiver directly, or register with the sender in a way
> that the receiver will honor.

This needs to scale, from both ends:

1) If I as a new list operator want my list traffic to get accepted, how
could I possibly go about registering with all (or even most) mailbox
providers in a way they will trust?

2) If I as a mailbox provider want to give my users quality service and
also spam filtering, what way can I offer list operators to identify
themselves that can't be spoofed, and will only be exploited by good
actors?  Putting this burden on my users doesn't feel tenable.

-MSK