DF

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <superu...@gmail.com>
Sent: 8/24/20 11:21 AM
To: Brandon Long <bl...@google.com>
Cc: IETF DMARC WG <dmarc@ietf.org>, Tim Draegen <t...@eudaemon.net>, Alessandro
Vesely <ves...@tana.it>
On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 2:01 PM Brandon Long <bl...@google.com> wrote:
I tend to agree with the negative stance on third party auth, but SPF obviously
has the include: statement which is third party auth at the most basic
level...atps[1] is the obvious equivalent for DKIM.  I don't know if atps
failed because it wasn't all that useful, or if it was tied in folks minds to
adps, or the failure of the follow-on reputation system stuff..

Neither atps or spf include are really designed for large scale usage across
thousands of "relays" etc, and I don't think they should be used for that, but
for a bunch of small to medium entities, it could be the thing that makes
higher p= possible.

ATPS was designed as a proof of concept to see if third party policy was
conceptually useful at all.  Scale could come later if the initial experiment
had a positive result.  The industry, however, apparently didn't even have
appetite to try, so we may never know.

-MSK