On 9/17/20 5:09 PM, Sabahattin Gucukoglu wrote:
> On 17 Sep 2020, at 20:59, Jesse Thompson
> <jesse.thompson=40wisc....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
>> On 9/17/20 2:11 PM, Sabahattin Gucukoglu wrote:
>>> Wouldn’t it be nice if you could ask for MLMs to transform, just using a
>>> DMARC policy, even p=none,
>>
>> It is possible via p=quarantine pct=0.
>>
>> I think it makes sense to consider codifying beyond this defacto standard
>> hack.  Isn't this part of DMARCbis?  It was discussed, anyway.  Which ones
>> are active?  https://trac.ietf.org/trac/dmarc/report/1
>
> These tickets seem to be relevant:
> #22 (Perverse incentives to use p!=none & pct=0):
> https://trac.ietf.org/trac/dmarc/ticket/22
> #73 (Need decision on importance of From domain):
> https://trac.ietf.org/trac/dmarc/ticket/73
> #63 (Make p=none with no reporting URI invalid—Closed):
> https://trac.ietf.org/trac/dmarc/ticket/63
>
> I did not realise that this “hack” had become widespread. I agree that it
> should be codified, or else p=none explicitly needs to support it (and in
> that case reporting must remain optional). I can’t speak to the pct
> parameter, because my sites are too small to really benefit from it.

I can't say how widespread it is in practice, but the concept has been
discussed occasionally in various contexts.  Those of us who choose to
[mis]deploy DMARC for user domains may find it useful.  The tactic was helpful
to identify some of the DMARC-unaware MLMs in use.

I don't want to overlook your other idea about advertising the ask for *no*
transform.

Is the idea that the domain owner can decide when they feel like there is
adequate adoption of ARC, and a suitable reputation system, so that the
intermediaries aren't saddled with that uncertainty into eternity?

On one hand, I worry that domain owners will never actually know that ARC is
ready until they actually ask intermediaries to stop transforming (and observe
what breaks).

On the other hand, it puts control for ARC adoption into the hands of the
community.  It also gives us something to measure ARC adoption in a more
meaningful way.

Jesse