I am just catching on to the implications of this discussion, and I must
disagree

It makes no sense to allow "p=" missing.   Why would we suggest that all
existing implementations alter their code to tolerate additional unnecessary
complexity, rather than requiring domain administrators to key a few more
characters so that code changes will not be necessary?

There is no functional difference between "p=" missing and "p=none".  Both
configurations state: "I don't know what to tell you, you are on your own."

I also don't understand this comment from Allesandro :

"Operators who don't need policy, for example external report receivers who just
want to publish verification records, would find the relevant info in the base
spec."

There is only one policy record, published by the domain owner.  The DNS record
either suggests enforcement (p=quarantine, p=reject) or it does not (p=none,
p=missing, no DMARC record).

Let's not add code complexity when it provides no benefit.

Doug Foster