I wanted to bring this topic into a visibly different thread, as it's really about further splitting up of the base DMARC document.

In digging through recent messages, I think I see what Ale meant. The topic was Jim Fenton's suggestion of splitting the policy section out into a separate document. This would be the relevant reference from Ale's message on Nov 5th, subject "Announcing DMARCbis Editors" - Ale is responding to Todd Herr in this snippet:

Moving discussion of policy to a second specification would render any base specification to be no more than effectively a table of contents pointing to other documents, which seems to me to be a pointless document to produce.

Operators who don't need policy, for example external report receivers who just want to publish verification records, would find the relevant info in the base spec.

A good point of Jim's proposal is that having policy in a separate spec, in the same manner as reports, avoids the unintended effect of classifying reports as a 2nd class, generally-not-used feature.

Alessandro: Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems from this quotation that you were just constructing a case were a valid DMARC role (third party report receiver) would need to use the "base" spec (without policy content), and the reporting specs, without direct need for a separate/split-out "policy" spec.

While you have a point, I would think that any report receiver would need to reference that policy spec as soon as they receive a report and need to interpret it. In which case, I would need a more compelling reason or benefit to split the policy section out into a separate document.

With regard to the "Optional p= makes no sense" thread, I think the quotation with too-little context gave the impression of a different or larger issue.

--Steve.