On 11/7/20 1:11 AM, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
On Fri 06/Nov/2020 14:57:46 +0100 Todd Herr wrote:
On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 7:27 AM Douglas E. Foster wrote:

It makes no sense to allow "p=" missing.   Why would we suggest that all
existing implementations alter their code to tolerate additional
unnecessary complexity, rather than requiring domain administrators to key
a few more characters so that code changes will not be necessary?

Are there really implementations that choke on missing p=?

How about "v=DMARC1; p=none; p=quarantine;"?

I'm pretty sure both cases would be invalid as DMARC policy records, in which case they should be ignored. If an implementation is trying to do something with invalid records like these, particularly one with multiple "p=" tags, then that would be a problem.

I also don't understand this comment from Alessandro :

"Operators who don't need policy, for example external report receivers who just want to publish verification records, would find the relevant
info in the base spec." >>
There is only one policy record, published by the domain owner.  The DNS record either suggests enforcement (p=quarantine, p=reject) or it does not
(p=none, p=missing, no DMARC record).

I can't speak for him, but I believe he's referring to the records that a report consumer outside the authority of the domain at issue might publish, as documented currently in https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7489#section-7.1. In those cases where, for example, foo.com publishes a DMARC policy record with a rua= value of say "repo...@bar.org", there must exist a TXT record
of "v=DMARC1" at foo.com._report._dmarc.bar.org in order to confirm that
bar.org is consenting to receive these reports.

Exactly!  Dropping the requirement allows the definition of DMARC record to be unique.  Not a terrific gain, just a little simplification.

I'm not aware of any requirement for third party report receivers to publish a DMARC policy record for their domain, in order to operate as report receivers. If that's what you meant, Ale, can you tell us where it appears in RFC7489 or the -bis spec?

--S.