I did not see a definition of a “non-existent domain” (the np policy).   A
definition is needed.

To my thinking, the obvious rule should be to query for a NS record for the
domain.  If the record exists, then the domain owner could create a DMARC
record for that domain, or could create a default entry for the domain at the
organizational level.  If no record exists, it is because the domain owner
chose to not create one.

However, the DMARC Bis document conflicts strongly with this.  In section A.4,
it suggest several ways to do a test of this type, then repudiates all of them.
 NS lookup is not one of the mentioned options.

There is a possible second-level policy test for a “mail-enabled domain”.  I
would define that test as “MX record exists or SPF policy exists”.    That
could be an additional option to NP, but should not be a replacement for it.

PSD for DMARC clearly intends for the NP policy to be a general solution to a
general problem.    If there are still objections to it becoming a general
solution, this should be addressed soon.

Doug Foster