To return briefly to the muddy waters that I created.  John is correct that
"mail enabled" is not useful for the RFC5322.From address, and my last note
expanded on reasons why that is correct.

However, spoofing of non-existent subdomains is a potential problem for the
RFC5321.MailFrom domain, which then becomes an attack vector for the
RFC5322.From address as well.  The problem exists because because SPF has no
organizational default.

We need to think about intermediate nodes, non-mail leaf nodes, and
non-existent subdomains.  Assume that a spammer tries to spoof a legitimate
organization by using a non-mail  or non-existing node for both the SMTP
MailFrom address and the message From Address.   The message will be
evaluated as
- SPF=None,
- DomainAligned=True, and
- (if checked by some unknown algorithm)  OrganizationReputation=good.

Can we assume that all such messages will be blocked by all recipients?   It
seems better to have a published policy to say that it should be blocked.
Based on existing specifications, the organization has these defenses:

- All possibilities are protected if the organization DMARC sp policy is
enforceable (p<>none and pct<>0).   However, we know that this is
problematic for many organizations.

- Mail-enabled nodes should have an SPF record, so those domains will be
protected.

- Existing but non-mail domains are only protected if they have an SPF -ALL
policy.   This may be difficult and error-prone for the organization to
maintain.

Conclusions:
Assuming that many organizations are still at sp=none, we have an attack
surface from non-existent domains.  The "must exist" policy provides the
only defense for non-existent nodes when the DMARC sp policy is
non-enforcing.

Assuming that many organizations will have trouble managing deployment of
SPF -ALL universally, we have an attack surface for non-mail subdomains.
The "must be mail enabled" policy provides a simpler defense mechanism than
deploying SPF -ALL to every non-mail node.

DF