On 11/22/20 11:56 AM, John R Levine wrote:
On Sun, 22 Nov 2020, Michael Thomas wrote:
The ARC signature has a sequence number so you can track the chain of custody.  You are right that it is similar to the DKIM signature but the extra ovehead doesn't seem excessive.

Did the wg consider just grafting that onto the DKIM signature itself instead of having essentially a duplicate signature? Receivers are already supposed to ignore any tags they don't understand so it shouldn't hurt backward compatibility.

ARC is an experiment that came from the people who designed DMARC.  It's not a WG product.

Having adapted the perl DKIM module to handle ARC signing and verification, I can say that the extra signature is not a big deal.  If you look at mail coming from large mail systems, they're full of other junk headers and the extra overhead of AMS along with DKIM is not important.

From what I can tell, the main thing that ARC is doing is binding an auth-res to a dkim signature-like thing. But as I recall -- it's been a long time -- there were ordering requirements ala received headers for where new dkim-signatures and auth-res go in the header. Assuming my memory is correct, that means you can reconstruct "what this looked like before i messed with it" already by signing the incoming auth-res as part of the new DKIM signature.

Is there something more going on here?

Mike