On 11/23/20 11:28 AM, John R Levine wrote:
From what I can tell, the main thing that ARC is doing is binding an auth-res to a dkim signature-like thing. But as I recall -- it's been a long time -- there were ordering requirements ala received headers for where new dkim-signatures and auth-res go in the header. Assuming my memory is correct, that means you can reconstruct "what this looked like before i messed with it" already by signing the incoming auth-res as part of the new DKIM signature.

Is there something more going on here?

Not really.  There are ordering rules but mail systems do not follow them reliably, DKIM signatures in practice are not ordered.  Also, A-R can be deleted in some situations, so ARC makes copies of them to be more robust in transit.

If auth-res is sometimes deleted, why wouldn't we expect the arc auth-res to not be deleted too?

I imagine that the vast majority of intermediaries that break signatures number exactly one extra domain, so it's not very hard to reconstruct the chain of custody from origin to destination. Assuming the intermediary resigns with the incoming auth-res, the destination can choose to believe that auth-res or not, right? Since this is an experiment, do we have an idea of what the rest of the problem is after the typical mailing list-like signature breakers are excluded?

Mike