Changed the subject line because this has nothing to do with failure reports.

> On 5 Jan 2021, at 20:04, Dave Crocker <dcroc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 1/5/2021 11:34 AM, Michael Thomas wrote:
>> On 1/5/21 11:22 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:
>>> From: header field rewriting demonstrates that DMARC is, indeed, trivial to
>>> defeat (or rather, to route around.)  Also, receiver filtering engines are
>>> all that matter.  Real-time actions by recipients are demonstrably
>>> irrelevant to DMARC (and all other anti-abuse) utility.
>>>
>> That's not the conclusion of the paper that Doug Foster linked to the other
>> day.
> 1. I've looked back over his postings to this mailing list and am not finding
> the link you refer to.  Please post it (again).

Someone mentioned it was the article I shared a few months ago. If so it’s this
one:
https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/usenixsecurity18/sec18-hu.pdf
<https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/usenixsecurity18/sec18-hu.pdf>

Note: a single study does not make any conclusion accurate.
> 2. A single study is unlikely to be definitive about much of anything.

Absolutely true.

Anyone relying on a single piece of evidence to prove their point is wrong. I
am absolutely sure there is a bigger body of research out there and more data.
In fact, I was at a conference in SF many years ago reporting a study done
between a mailbox provider and a large sender of email. Their study showed
quite definitively that visual indicators in email do not affect user behavior
in any statistically meaningful way.

> 3. Especially when it counters years of experience, including the Web EV
> experiment
>
>      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Validation_Certificate
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Validation_Certificate>Effectiveness
> against phishing attacks with IE7 security UI
>>
>> In 2006, researchers at Stanford University
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_University> and Microsoft Research
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Research> conducted a usability
>> study[21]
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Validation_Certificate#cite_note-21>
>> of the EV display in Internet Explorer 7
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_7>. Their paper concluded
>> that "participants who received no training in browser security features did
>> not notice the extended validation indicator and did not outperform the
>> control group", whereas "participants who were asked to read the Internet
>> Explorer help file were more likely to classify both real and fake sites as
>> legitimate".

And that’s with the Extended Validation Certificate which required extensive
checks by the certification authority. In email anyone can ‘certify’ their mail
with DMARC. Bad actors can trivially get a DMARC pass if they control the mail.
If we start saying ‘bypass DMARC by rewriting the From: address’ to legitimate
mailers then every bad actor on the planet is going to do the same thing.

Header rewriting is a poor solution to the problem of indirect mail flows.

>> When I first came back and saw the From rewriting I was very confused by
>> what it was until I figured out what was going on.
> You think you are representative of end users?  Try again.

I think he’s representative of one kind of enduser. He’s getting a trust
indicator in email (DMARC fails) and doesn’t understand what that indicator
means or implies. When I shared the relevant piece of the DMARC spec causing
the DMARC failure he told me that was ‘all gobbledygook’ and that alignment
wasn’t even part of DMARC.

I think this is exactly one of the types of responses we can expect from end
users.

laura

--
Having an Email Crisis?  We can help! 800 823-9674

Laura Atkins
Word to the Wise
la...@wordtothewise.com
(650) 437-0741