On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 3:02 AM Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it> wrote:

> I just run a quick test on my current folder.  Out of 3879 messages I
> extracted
> 944 unique helo names.  721 of these matched the reverse lookup exactly.
> Out
> of the 223 remaining, 127 had an SPF pass for the helo identity anyway.
> So in
> 96 cases, roughly 10%, the helo name was indeed junk.  Isn't the remaining
> ~90%
> something worth considering?

I am admittedly quite heavily biased against using the HELO/EHLO value for
anything.  I have simply never found value in it, probably because at the
SMTP layer it's simply a value that gets logged or used in cute ways in the
human-readable portion of SMTP.  I seem to recall (but cannot seem to find
at the moment) RFC 5321 saying you can't reject HELO/EHLO based on a bogus
value, so it's even explicitly not useful to me.

Even if it's not junk, there's pretty much always something else on which
to hang a pass/fail decision about the apparent authenticity of a message
that at least feels safer if not actually being more sound.  Or put another
way, if you present to me a DKIM-signed message with a MAIL FROM value and
the only thing that passes is an SPF check against HELO, I'm mighty
skeptical.

Anyway, I'll let consensus fall where it may.

-MSK