On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 8:48 AM Brotman, Alex <Alex_Brotman=
40comcast....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> During our interim call last week the topic of extensions within the DMARC
> aggregate report came up.  There was a discussion about how to best
> introduce these, but also how they might be best used.  I noted three cases
> that I could see today; ARC, PSD, and BIMI.   And indeed we have tickets
> relating to the first two.  The original thought was that the aggregate
> draft would allow a place for extensions, and then additional drafts would
> define those within the IETF.  When -02 was originally being worked on,
> there was a thread about how we might like to see this, though not many
> we'd enhance that as we progressed.  At the time, I didn't intend to limit
> the extensions to IETF-approved extensions, though wasn't sure how else
> this might be used by reporting entities (I mentioned domain reputation-ish
> things during the call).  I'd consider that if we don't enforce
> IETF-registered extensions, the receivers could still
>   ignore extensions they don't want to handle.  I'm also aware this could
> bloat a report in terms of size, though we've already indicated we don't
> seem overly concerned with the size of the XML body.  A few things I'd like
> to see the group reach consensus on are:
>
> 1) Extensions in their own section (as it is now) or within each <row>
> element
> 2) Must extensions be IETF-approved
> 3) If (2) is true, do we want to define any during the DMARCbis process
> (essentially a demonstration of how it is to be done)
>
> Thank you for your continued feedback
>
> 1:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dmarc-aggregate-reporting-02#section-4
>
> --
> Alex Brotman
> Sr. Engineer, Anti-Abuse & Messaging Policy
> Comcast

1) Extensions should be in their own extension and seperate from the core
reporting. There is a reason we call them "extensions".
2) Extensions used in reporting under the standard should be IETF-approved.
This is a standards body. Anyone can leverage standards for private use but
our focus as an IETF working group is interoperability. By requiring IETF
approval/registration it puts the extensions under IETF "Note Well" and
makes the extension public.

Michael Hammer