Mailing lists were changing the bounce address long before VERP was invented. It's how they work.

No maiing list rewrote From: until AOL and Yahoo abused DMARC and people invented the kludge to sort of work around it.

The whole point of ARC is so that lists and other forwarders *don't* have to do ugly kludges so I don't understand the point of this discussion.

With ARC you have to distinguish cases (a), (b), (c), and (d).

Well, you can hope, but as you know, there's no guarantees when you're sending mail.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY