Stated another way, the problem with ARC is that it requires the evaluator
to attribute a positive reputation to the forwarder, in a context where
even identifying the forwarder can be difficult.   Most email is accepted
on a much weaker criteria - the absence of negative reputation.

Mailing lists actually deserve an above-average reputation, because their
messages are pre-filtered based on identity and content before being
forwarded.   But because they preserve the author address, list messages
appear to be a random mail stream containing normal threat risks.
 From-rewriting of all list messages would allow the list to be evaluated
based on the list reputation, rather than the random reputations of the
list members.

The existing approach to From rewrite is a mess, but it is not the only one
possible.    A DMARC-compliant list would solve a lot of problems, and is
feasible, with the right type of rewrite.

Doug