Yes, savvy users could use the proxy to establish offline
communication, but it is not what most users would do, so the lure for bad
actors is real.

Our previous discussion about online stalking was very much in mind when I
wrote the specification.   Because of the proxy mechanism, stalking can be
stopped by (a) the list operator preventing messages from the stalker's
real address to the victim's alias address, or (b) the system operator
evicting the stalker from the list, or (c) the victim leaving the list.
 In any of these scenarios, the harassment is stopped immediately, as long
as the stalker does not have the real email address of his target.   In the
absence of such measures, the best defense is to use a separate email
address for each list in which one participates.

Doug Foster