Barry, you did a nice job of talking me off the ledge.

If this is about helping list operators and message evaluators to
collaborate in a way that avoids From-Munging, I have no objections.

Repeatedly, the topic has seemed to turn in directions that make the
evaluator appear irrelevant -- as if the Lists don't need to talk to them.

The reality right now is that a lot of From-Munging is unnecessary because:
- many evaluators do not enforce DMARC
- some evaluators enforce DMARC but have made exceptions for active lists
- some other evaluators enforce DMARC and will make exceptions if asked to
do so by their users
This leaves a small group, like AOL, who enforce DMARC and yet are
unresponsive to their users.   This small group needs From-Munging, or
unmodified messages, or different email accounts for list participation.

I claim, without proof, that many of the most vocal critics of From-Munging
are using domains that do not require From-Munging on incoming messages.
 In such cases, the DMARC-enforcing sender is not the real
problem, ignorance is.

Once the list and the evaluator have agreed to collaborate, we have a bunch
of signalling options, including options that survive forwarding.   They
are mostly simple extensions of things we are already doing, much simpler
and more determinative than ARC.

Doug Foster

.