On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 4:42 AM Douglas Foster <
dougfoster.emailstanda...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Under a collaboration solution, the subscriber goes to her email support
> and says,"I joined list X, and they say that for the best user experience,
> we need to configure a whitelist entry to bypass >From Filtering on
> messages from one SPF-verified SMTP address.    Then I need to give them a
> response whether this change has been implemented or not."
>
> Under an unmunging solution, the subscriber conversation is more like
> this, "I joined list X, and they say that for the best user experience, we
> need to configure an unmunging MTA.   Hope this is not too much trouble.  I
> hope you can get this implemented quickly."

It feels to me like an arrangement like this can't scale well.  Given
millions of users at a single email service provider, even a fraction of a
percent of those joining lists means thousands of people have register with
the MTA in some way.  This causes two problems:

a) Many users will forget, many others will be confused by the process
since they've never had to do that before; you should expect that all of
those will complain, screw it up, or both.

b) Teaching an MTA to use a configuration file with that scale of entries
seems like it would be a beast.  Large scale infrastructures can possibly
handle something like that, and boutique operators only have to do it for
their small handful of users, but the space in between could be pretty
unpleasant.

-MSK