Don't the alignment rules allow any DKIM signature for the organization to
validate any FROM address for the organization -- up, down, or sideways?

To use the sideways example, this means that an RFC 5322.From address of "
u...@security.example.edu"  can be validated for DMARC:
- by SPF PASS on an RFC5321.MailFrom address of "u...@humanities.example.edu",
or
- by a verified DKIM signature issued by d=Humanities.Example.Edu using a
public key published in the Humanities sub-tree.

That, at least, is my understanding.

Doug