On 11/18/2021 1:44 PM, John Levine wrote:
> It appears that Todd Herr  <todd.h...@valimail.com> said:
>> It seems to me that DMARC already provides the ability for
>> security.example.edu to ensure that no other part of example.edu can send
>> mail on their behalf. To accomplish this, security.example.edu can today:
>>
>>   - Publish an SPF record listing only hosts under its direct control, a
>>   record which ends with "-all"
>>   - Ensure that only hosts under its control can DKIM sign messages using "
>>   security.example.edu" as the signing domain, by making sure that its
>>   private DKIM signing key is only deployed to hosts under its control
>>   - Publish a DMARC policy record that includes the following three tags
>>   and values:
>>      - p=reject
>>      - adkim=s
>>      - aspf=s
>
> Agreed.  That would work fine.
>
> An sp=reject in both security.example.edu and its org domain would also be a
> good idea.

(Sorry, AWOL due to new employment, only tertiary involved in matters relevant
to this discussion these days. Also haven't read this list for about a year.)

Here's my best recollection of the issue:

p=(quarantine|reject) isn't the real issue for example.edu; just tell
departments to use their sub.example.edu domains (localized control/branding
makes people happy, more or less.) [1]  p=(quarantine|reject) for
sub.example.edu isn't really an issue either; just a microcosm.

The problem is when there are departments with lots of systems all sending from
hostname.sub.example.edu. So, sub.example.edu needs time to reconcile (or
doesn't care to), wants to publish sp=none for sub.example.edu; but can't
because the org domain's sp policy is the only one that matters, since there is
no tree walk from hostname.sub.example.edu to sub.example.edu. Meanwhile,
example.edu can't move beyond sp=none.

Also, the lack of control down the tree means that example.edu would never be
able to use aspf=r, which is restricting a useful feature from organizations
that could probably benefit the most from the flexibility it provides. I don't
think that inability to use adkim=r is as much of an issue since individual
CNAME records are easy to create under example.edu. This if off topic in my
mind, but it was mentioned above.

Jesse

[1] most complex institutions probably aren't so willing to hand out subdomains
like candy