On Sat, Dec 4, 2021 at 2:35 PM Douglas Foster <
dougfoster.emailstanda...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think this text was inserted because of an open ticket when discussion
> was going nowhere and a new draft was created.  Perhaps the originator of
> that ticket can elaborate on his thinking.

I believe the admonishment against best-guess SPF was based at least in
part on the sentiments found here:

http://www.open-spf.org/FAQ/Best_guess_record/

...which is to say it's apparently a discouraged practice.

It makes it difficult for DMARC to be deterministic when the things upon
which it's built behave in unpredictable ways.  That's not to say this is
unique though; DKIM, for example, allows verifiers to decide what an
acceptable signature is (a favorite I remember from the early days was "I
don't want to accept a DKIM signature that didn't cover the Subject
field"), which again means one site's "pass" is another site's "fail".

-MSK