<dougfoster.emailstanda...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >>To be clear, the text at issue is present in RFC 7489, Section 6.6.2.
> >>
> >>That doesn't make it immutable, of course...
> >>
> > Thanks for the clarification.  I'd forgotten that was there.  I definitely
> > think it should be removed, regardless of the origin.
> I assume you said one can locally evaluate Best-Guess-SPF, but should not
> taint DMARC results by considering its outcome.  That paragraph should then
> be left there, no?

No.  The so called best guess is no part of SPF.  The document says use the
SPF result.  It's not an SPF result.  There's nothing we can do to stop people
from doing non-standard things.  We already say what they should do for
interoperability and protocol consistency.  It's not feasible nor is it a good
idea to attempt to enumerate the things people shouldn't do.  I struggle to
understand why this should be called out and not, to pick an example, Sender
ID.  I'd prefer we don't act as publicity for bad practices.

Scott K