On 12/4/2021 4:23 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
DKIM, for example, allows verifiers to decide what an acceptable signature is (a favorite I remember from the early days was "I don't want to accept a DKIM signature that didn't cover the Subject field"), which again means one site's "pass" is another site's "fail".

I'm going to suggest that that analysis is not formally correct.

The DKIM specification precisely defines validation for the signature and it precisely defines what coverage is 'required'.

A receiver can indeed choose to apply stricter requirements, but a failure to satisfy these is NOT a DKIM fail. The extra requirements are outside the scope of the DKIM specification and therefore the failure has nothing to do with the standard.

This is not a minor point, but it does seem to be a common point of confusion.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
dcroc...@gmail.com