It appears that Todd Herr  <todd.h...@valimail.com> said:
>If the intent of the tree walk is, at least in part, to allow for
>publishing of policy records at the PSD level and for those records to be
>inherited by existing subdomains (e.g., _dmarc.tld is inherited by
>domain.tld if domain.tld does not publish its own policy record) then I
>have badly misunderstood the tree walk.

The whole point of a PSD is to have a default policy for parts of the
DNS tree where the superdomain has a relationship that lets it define
policies for its registrants. The examples we've seen are the UK
government which has a PSD for gov.uk, and the proposal to have one
for .bank, which has all sorts of rules like you have to be a real
bank.

If you were doing a tree walk and the first DMARC record you find is
a PSD, that's the policy you use.  Why wouldn't you?

I might look at the PSD flag to decide whether to send reports, but
not whether to believe that it's the policy.

R's,
John