It appears that Alessandro Vesely  <ves...@tana.it> said:
>I think it is already clear to the WG that the tree walk is screwed up.

Yes, we know we have to rewrite sections 4.5 and 4.6.

I think there are 2 1/2 situations we need to look at.

The first is finding the policy record for a domain that does not have its own
DMARC
record.  That seems easy, walk up five levels and stop at the first DMARC
record,
which is your policy record.  For this purpose it doesn't matter whether the
domain
says psd=y.  I suppose that it if doesn't have psd=y, you can call the domain
with the
record the org domain.

The second is deciding whether two diffent domains are in relaxed alignment.
This has
an easier case and a harder one.

The easier case is when one domain is a subdomain of the other.  You look at
the domains
between the two and they are in relaxed alignment if one of these is true but
I'm not
sure which one:

 a. there are no DMARC records at all
 b. there are no DMARC records witn psd=y

I don't think there is a lot of practical difference between the two.  If you
don't find
a record, there is no policy and no org domain.

The harder case when the domains are siblings, or maybe a great aunt.
Possibilities:

 a. they are never aligned.  This would be the easiest, but would in principle
be a significant
change from the current spec.  Does anyone know in practice how often mail uses
sibling alignment?

 b. walk up from both, stop at the first DMARC record. If they're at
the same name and it's not a PSD, they are aligned and that's the org domain

 b+. walk up from both, if the DMARC records are at the same name, it has
psd=y, and they have the
same name below the PSD, they are aligned and the name below the PSD is the org
domain

 c and c+. like b or b+ but allow other non-PSD DMARC records below the org
domain.

I lean toward "a" if we believe that sibling alignment is rarely used,
otherwise b.  I don't like b+ or c+ because
I think it is reasonable to expect mailers who depend on an org domain to
publish a record there, although I do not
think an org=y flag would be useful, since it would break existing org domain
records that don't have the flag.

R's,
John