On Monday, February 14, 2022 10:45:39 AM EST Todd Herr wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 5:16 PM Dotzero <dotz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 4:30 PM Scott Kitterman <skl...@kitterman.com>
> >
> > wrote:
> >> I think "a" would be cleanest, but I think it would cause too much
> >> backward
> >> compatibility trouble and should not be further considered.  In previous
> >> working group discussions on this I recall specific suggestions that this
> >> would
> >> be problematic and this is supported by the short survey that Elizabeth
> >> Zwicky
> >> reported on.
> >
> > The problem with what Elizabeth shared, and I do appreciate her sharing
> > it, is that what she shared doesn't show the extent of the variety of
> > behaviors in those "sibling" relationships. Because those are undocumented
> > and not understood AND it isn't even clear that those relationships and
> > behaviors are what is intended by the "standard", serious questions are
> > raised.  Can a "standard" that allows a variety of undocumented
> > non-standard behaviors (and outcomes) be considered a standard? The
> > details
> > behind some of the examples given by Elizabeth indicate potential abuse
> > vectors beyond my original concerns. Unfortunately, the receiving
> > organizations most able to provide detailed examples are unlikely to
> > provide them publicly due to privacy concerns, embarrassing customers,
> > etc.
> > It might be useful if an organization like M3AAWG could process detailed
> > examples from members,obfuscate the organizational information and share
> > it
> > publicly as an aggregation of examples to inform a better standards
> > creation process.
>
> I'm not understanding what you mean when you state that "it isn't even
> clear that those relationships and behaviors are what is intended by the
> 'standard'"
>
> RFC 7489 seems to be clear in its definition of alignment.
>
> In section 3.1.1 DKIM-Authenticated Identifiers, the text reads, in part:
>
>    In relaxed mode, the Organizational Domains of both the [DKIM
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7489#ref-DKIM>]->    authenticated
> signing domain (taken from the value of the "d=" tag in
>    the signature) and that of the RFC5322
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc5322>.From domain must be
> equal if
>    the identifiers are to be considered aligned.  In strict mode, only
>    an exact match between both of the Fully Qualified Domain Names
>    (FQDNs) is considered to produce Identifier Alignment.
>

> and in section 3.1.2, SPF-Authenticated Identifiers, the text reads, in
> part:
>

>    In relaxed mode, the [SPF
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7489#ref-SPF>]-authenticated
> domain and RFC5322
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc5322>.From
> [...]

I agree, but generic arm waving is not useful.  We need specifics to understand
the concern.  I have a suspicion that it will amount to a third-party
delegation concern that is best addressed by explaining potential risks and
mitigations in security or privacy considerations, but without knowing
anything about what the actual issue is there is no way to know.

Scott K