On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 6:48 AM Scott Kitterman <skl...@kitterman.com>
wrote:

> On Saturday, June 18, 2022 8:42:23 AM EDT Douglas Foster wrote:
> > Let's talk through the selling process for the Tree Walk algorithm.
> > In sum, why should an Evaluator make the switch?
>
> I think there are some good points in here.  Fundamentally, I agree that
> there
> needs to be a value proposition associated with investing the resources
> required to update a DMARC implementation from RFC 7489 to DMARCbis.

+1.

1.  Does not use the PSL for something it was not intended for.  As has
> been
> mentioned many times, the PSL is designed for browser use cases, not
> email.
> In their words:
> [...]

This has been the biggest motivator for me.  Today we're relying on
something not intended for the purpose for which we are using it, with
maintenance practices that make us nervous.  Whatever delta may exist
between the PSL and tree walk approaches, I'd be willing to accept some of
that conversion cost in the name of a more solid and defensible engineering
and operational choice.

I also still like the notion of decoupling the mechanism of identifying the
OD from DMARC itself, which I think Dave suggested.  Have we fully
dismissed that idea?

-MSK