On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 4:01 PM Scott Kitterman <skl...@kitterman.com>
wrote:

> "...MUST NOT deploy a DMARC policy other than p=none because use of
> p=reject
> or (to a slightly lesser extent) p=quarantine for such domains is
> extremely
> harmful to email interoperability.  Mitigation strategies are discussed in
> [RFC 7960] and [RFC 8617]."
>
> I don't think we need to reiterate what p=reject does here, that's
> extensively
> addressed elsewhere in the document.  I don't think we have enough data to
> opine either way about the effectiveness of such strategies, so it's
> enough to
> point at them here.  We don't currently list RFC 8617 as a reference.  I
> think
> introducing an informative reference here is useful.  It's experimental,
> so we
> definitely don't want to put any normative language around it.
>
> I suspect that's probably not what you would find ideal (it's not what I
> would
> find ideal either, but I can live with it).  Can you live with it?  What
> do
> others think?

In my estimation, the language you propose here establishes the primacy of
interoperability over the needs/wishes of the domain owner.

My preference is for language that acknowledges the primacy of the domain
owner over interoperability.

I don't have time tonight to propose alternative text, but I wanted to
acknowledge that I've read your message and make a promise to propose
alternative text tomorrow.

--

*Todd Herr * | Technical Director, Standards and Ecosystem
*e:* todd.h...@valimail.com

This email and all data transmitted with it contains confidential and/or
proprietary information intended solely for the use of individual(s)
authorized to receive it. If you are not an intended and authorized
recipient you are hereby notified of any use, disclosure, copying or
distribution of the information included in this transmission is prohibited
and may be unlawful. Please immediately notify the sender by replying to
this email and then delete it from your system.